Central Texas Veterans Health Care System
Volunteer or Donate
Central Texas Veterans Health Care System depends on the goodwill of our benefactors and volunteers who wish to give something back to America's heroes. We appreciate the loving support our community has bestowed upon our veterans.
New Service! E-Donate
Simple. Speedy. Safe. The new E-Donate service now available on-line allows community members who wish to give back to Veterans a quick, safe way to pledge their support. Through E-Donate, donors can select from a number of funds at the medical center they wish to donate to. U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs administrative costs are appropriated so donors can be 100 percent certain their donations will go directly to the funds and Veteran patients they select.
Donated money at the Central Texas Veterans Health Care System goes to programs that support veterans like recreational therapy. The actual donation is made through a secure site at the Department of Treasury’s www.pay.gov. A minimum of $5 is required for online donation and you can donate by any electronic means commonly used on the Internet today (i.e. credit card, debit card, etc.). You choose the medical center, you choose the amount, and you choose from available options how your money will support local Veterans.
Volunteers provide many important functions throughout the Medical Center and help make our patients' stay more enjoyable. Volunteers can perform a number of services, and a volunteer's talents are closely matched with one of our many assignments.
To volunteer, call or visit the Central Texas Veterans Health Care System Voluntary Service Office. We will be happy to receive your application or discuss how you can help us in our mission to provide comfort and care to America's veterans.
As a member of our volunteer team, you will receive:
- General orientation to Voluntary Service
- Job specific orientation
- Immediate gratification – You earn points for the smiles you induce
- Improved health
- Free parking
- Meal Ticket for lunch (after 4 or more hours of service)
- Free Flu Shots (for adults and for youth volunteers with parental signature)
- Letters of Recommendation (after 100 hours of service)
- Eligibility for scholarships offered by service organizations and VA
- Training opportunities
Monetary donations are used to purchase comfort items and to provide the “little extras’ that make a lengthy hospital stay more bearable.
Non-monetary contributions such as reading material, pre-paid phone cards, new underwear, t-shirts and socks, games, puzzle books, individually packaged foodstuffs are accepted for use by our patients.
- Our OEF/OIF – Iraq Veterans could use help with gift cards for groceries, baby food and diapers, prepaid phone cards, new underwear, t-shirts and socks.
- Homeless Veterans could use hygiene kits, with additional items such as lotion, lip balm, sun screen, bug spray, tampons/napkins, shave cream and razor; new underwear, t-shirts and socks as well as size large walking shorts and sandals (size 9 – 13).
If you are interested in becoming a VAVS Volunteer or have questions about making a donation please contact us.